Tuesday 29 January 2013

My Love for Reality TV

I have recently been obsessed with reality TV – the last time this happened to me was in 2009. I remember I loved watching ‘I Love New York’. This was another reality TV spin off where a number of male contestants were filmed vying for the love of the one, Miss. New York, who was described by one of her admirers as “the ugliest fliest chic on TV.” Let’s put it this way, this show was a ghetto version of ‘The Bachelor’.
Miss New York

Since then, I have been introduced to a number of other reality shows. Either through a gossip site or even the great CNN. From the Kardashians to Nene Leakes, I have either watched or read about. Even the latest Honey Boo Boo Child obsession.

Don’t get me wrong, I DO NOT love reality TV. I am somewhat forced to watch them.

These shows that spawned from the 2007 – 2008 writers’ strike have filled a void in my television spectrum. I start looking for these shows at the end and/or beginning of the year when most of “my” prime shows are in hiatus or continuing. I am one of those people who prefers to watch the entire season of a show or at least the first/last 12 episodes. I cannot stand watching one episode at a time unless I am watching it in real time.

After watching tons of reality TV (by tons, I mean Basketball Wives Miami and Love & Hip Hop. I prefer the latter.), I have come to the conclusion that all these people get paid for nothing. They fight, gossip, shop, hang out, eat, attend parties and do whatever you dream about doing over the weekend; if you’re lucky.  I would like to commend these people for getting paid to do nothing. The only harsh thing about this is they end up doing anything to remain relevant and then people like me only watch reality TV because it’s trashy TV.  And quite frankly, to feel better about myself J

The stars of  'Love and Hip Hop'. Unfortunately, my favorite star - Mr. Jim Jones - is not shown.


Reality TV Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment